The April Business Meeting will be held on Monday, April 9 at the City Line Family Restaurant in New City, NY at 7:30PM. We will be in the side room just to the right of the main entrance. There is a map below for your convenience.
The agenda for the meeting is as follows:
- Shire name change proposal and discussion
- East Kingdom 50th Anniversary camping
- Novice Day plans/Rusted Woodlands cooperation
- Potential event planning
- Officer reports
There will be no issues up for a vote during this meeting.
If you have anything you’d like added to the agenda, please contact the Seneschal.
On Thursday, November 30th the group turned out to present a demo centered around period food and drink for the local campus of Empire State College in Nanuet, NY.
Many members contributed dishes to the tasting:
- Lady Cailleach Dhé ingen Chiaráin made oat bannocks, an iron-age fried cake.
- Lady AmeliaJoan made pizelles, possibly the earliest known kind of cookie.
- Richard made lamb hedgehogs as well as scotch eggs.
- Herr Matthias von Würzburg made hais (date and nut balls) as well as period gingerbread.
- Lady Zillah al Sighira al Hurra from Northpass contributed an excellent presentation on cordials and their medicinal use as well as some sekanjubin for sampling.
- Dr. Denise Kawasaki from Empire State College contributed a period Brie tart.
We also had a chance to present an award to one of our shire members, with Jadidja (called Jade) receiving her AOA from Cailleach after it was read into Court by Their Majesties at Hundred Minutes’ War two weeks previously.
Here are some pictures from the demo, you can click on each image to view the full-size version.
Brie tart, 14th c.
Jadidja’s AOA Scroll.
Hudson Valley Center Nanuet
Community Engagement LECTURE SERIES Featuring:
The Society for
SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th century Europe. Our “Known World” consists of 20 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more. Come learn more!
Thursday March 2, 2017 Nanuet Unit 6:00pm – 9:00pm
150 East Route 59, Nanuet, NY 10954
Introduction given by Dr. Denise Kawasaki
Collaboration with Rockland County Incipient Shire of Nordenfjord
Refreshments will be available. RSVP by February 23, 2017 to reserve a seat by contacting Dr. Arlene Rider at Arlene.Rider@esc.edu